Monday, February 9, 2009

Event – Great Music & Food, First Friday at Montana Coffee Traders

Since it was the first Friday of the month, my youngest daughter and I decided to enjoy the music at Coffee Traders to wrap up last week. They were also serving a burrito dinner, but we were late arriving due to her indoor soccer game, so I didn’t get a chance to try one. They looked great. After a brutal soccer loss, she and I needed a pick-me-up, so I got a large latte and she grabbed a Mighty Mango juice (maybe you’re seeing a theme here about me and coffee if you’ve been following my other posts?).

We arrived just in time for the group, Shoreline, to finish up a quick break and start playing again. I’d listened to two of the members (fiddle player and guitarist) in another group last year or the year before, so I knew we were in for a treat. Sarah Etzler plays a mean fiddle and Todd Stokes never misses a beat on the guitar. They performed a couple instrumental only pieces.
Audio Clip of Instrumental
Audio Clip of Another Instrumental

The silky voiced, passionate female vocalist, Ashley Crevier joined them for a few popular numbers like “I hope you dance” by LeeAnn Womack and “Bubbly” by Colbie Calliat. Every song was terrific, even though they’ve only been playing together since the end of September. I did chat with them briefly and apparently Ashley writes some of her own music and plays the keyboard as well, though she didn’t have one along this particular night and I didn’t arrive early enough to hear any of her pieces.

The environment at First Fridays at Coffee Traders is comfortable, with people who attend chatting as they sup and listen to the music, which you may hear in some of the sound clips I uploaded, though things quieted down when Ashley’s family requested “Bubbly”.
Audio Clip of Ashley singing Bubbly

My daughter and I had a great time! I’ve mentioned this previously, but if you get a chance, this is a good way to wrap up a week. Just remember that it’s the first Friday of the month as they’re not standardly open for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment